Friday, March 25, 2011

Dream of Californication

Today's first thoughts, "wow, it's already Thursday" AND (of course!) "IT'S MY BIRTHDAY".

Rocco Hindman, a behind-the-camera talent agent, spoke to us about how to become his client and what type of people are his clients and basically just what he does. He really got me motivated to get up and start putting experiences on my resume. He explained that you don't look to get an agent until you have enough experience and are ready for any job that the agency could throw at you! It was really useful to listen to someone who could seriously help me in my future. He has been the first person we can go to after we are well into somewhat of a career!

After Rocco, was Matt Rhodes, president of Persistent Entertainment. All I can say is AMAZING. Literally no other words. He wins the best speaker award for this week by far. He literally told us the brutal truth and I loved it and also appreciated all of it. Right now one of my options is to work on a below-the-line job as a set designer. Matt explained that the only way to succeed in a job like that is to join the union. You complete the requirements and you get in, it's that easy. I would know nothing about the union unless Matt filled me in. He is also a big believer in positive persistence, hence his company name. Find people and call them. Make a ton of calls and if only a few of them get back to you, that's alright. A few is better than none so be happy with that much. If I work a below-the-line job than joining the union will be my main goal and after that I'm golden. I will have a set pay and health insurance which is all a person needs really! He also gave advice about being able to sell yourself. It got me thinking...what would I say in two sentences or less...well, I'll have to think about that one!

After the speakers were over we headed back to Hollywood and Vine and I realized once again how much I do not want to live in Hollywood! We toured the Kodak Theatre and it was very interested and kind of cool to think that someday, someone from this trip or from Ohio University could be winning an Oscar!

We went to the Atlas Digital Production Center which I found very interesting. They are company that rent out its space to other companies who have people edit their work. I met an editor for Disney who was working and she was extremely helpful. She edits promo videos for different Disney shows. She loves her job and says it's a ton of fun! She told us all about how she got where she was and she even talked about starting off in New York, who would have thunk it! She even rooted for New York for the first time. she made a good point. In New York, she said, everyone is on the same playing field, in Los Angeles, higher up people think that you have to pay your dues like they did. Although, she had great advice, meeting her was slightly unfortunate...I began to think that maybe I want to be an editor again, which is what I originally wanted to do! I HATE CONFUSION! I did leave this tour with one other thought on my mind..."Maybe I'll start in New York and move my way over to Los Angeles." Then, I got to thinking. I live in New York and throughout this trip I have asked about the difference between the two cities but as this week is drawing to an end I'm thinking why pack up and move? I can start in New York, not far from home, if I love it, I stay, if I don't, I come out to LA!...that rhymed if you didn't catch on to it! So I think I have made up somewhat of my mind, finally!...not really though!

Finally, tonight was the Ohio University Alumni dinner. We watched some student made films and then mingled the rest of the night...my worst fear. I think I did a pretty good job though and I'm proud of myself. I spoke to a few people, some who were media students and some who were not. Surprisingly, I spoke to an engineer who took down my information to give to his friend who is in set design. The non-media student was the one that I made the best connection with! I spoke to a few others: a camera assistant, a writer, and s guy that works for Warner Brothers. I got to network, get my name out there, and also just have a good time. I was so nervous but they are real people who have a life just like me. Towards the end the business talk kind of came to a close and it just became fun talk. We spoke a lot about how Ohio University is now and how it has changed since some of them have been there. It was a great experience to network and just simply talk to some of the alumni. Although, I didn't get my name out there too much, I really enjoyed myself. They were all great people who have cool jobs, love living out in Los Angeles, and just know how to have a good conversation. All in all, it was a great end to a wonderful day! I appreciate what the OU Alumni Association did for us tonight and it truly was a great event!

...Only one more Los Angeles blog coming your way, wonder how much confusion will show through that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment